© Flixton Band

History of the Band

Originally formed in 1877, the Flixton Volunteer Band was the result of the formation of the Flixton 1st Volunteer Battalion, Manchester Regiment. (This was the Territorial Army of the period.) The services of the band were in much demand and it gradually became known locally as the Flixton Volunteers Band. The band was on duty to play when the Manchester Ship Canal was opened by Queen Victoria in 1894. The band became an important fixture within the local community, performing at church events, cricket matches, garden parties, flower shows, and other local events. In 1908, with the termination of the Volunteers, the band became known as the Flixton Brass Band. The depression of the 1930's took it's toll, and in 1933, with many players leaving the area to find work, and people not having enough spare time, the band disbanded. Some of the instruments were held in trust in the hope that the band would be reformed at a future date.

The band re-formed in 1967, when it became known as the Flixton Silver Band, and was granted permission to use the Urmston coat of arms on band uniforms and stationery. Since then, the band has broadcast on radio and television, and taken part in events locally, nationally, and internationally.

In 1981 the band travelled to West Germany (as it was) and gave a number of well received concerts. At the end of 1988 it was decided to remove the word Silver from the band's name, and to resume contesting.

In June 1993, the band travelled to Denmark for a concert tour, including performance at the Tivoli Gardens. The band was awarded a National Lottery Grant in 1998, that helped to buy new instruments and equipment.

In 2012 the band registered as a charity and the following year a training band was formed with instruments purchased from a generous donation by the Urmston Housing Society. This training band was renamed the Flixton Community Band and has taken public engagements since late 2013.

From late 2001 until Easter of 2013, with the help of Trafford Council, Flixton Band moved into The Old Library, Flixton. We currently rehearse over a number of venues in Flixton, including the Flixton Junior School, John Alker Club and the Cricket Club.

The Flixton Band is currently a subscription band, and does not have the luxury of any sponsorship. The band is supported entirely through members’ weekly subscriptons, engagement fees and prize money. Potential sponsors of the band are always welcome.

Do you have any historic Flixton Band memorabilia?

If you have any item or information relating to Flixton Band history, and are willing to donate or lend to our archives, please contact us.


Disclaimer  © Flixton Band 2003-2007

The Urmston Coat of Arms

The emblem of St. Michael, martlets, a squirrel, a chevron, an anvil, an oak tree, a rose, and a griffin, all have a prominent position in the Arms of Urmston, and naturally in its history.
The Arms were granted to the Council by the College of Arms on June 10th, 1942. In them, we can trace not only the history of the district, but also its links with many ancient families: the griffin from the Arms of the Traffords, the chevron and the martlets from the Hydes and Asshawes, the squirrel from the Ormestons. The Parish Church of Flixton is dedicated to St. Michael, whose emblem (the scales) thus appears.

The anvil is there to signify industry, while the wavy bars indicate close ties with rivers, in this case the Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal (the latter being in part, the canalised Irwell. The oak tree is a strong reminder of the woodlands and copses with which the district still abounds. The Lancashire rose needs no explanation. Translated, the motto reads: " The Welfare of the People is the Supreme Law. "

Memorable Moments Archives
Historic Photos Archive